The History of Cottage Hospital

  • 1903 Cottage Hospital began operation in what was known as the Cobleigh Tavern, built in 1795 at today’s junction of Routes 10 and 135 in Woodsville, New Hampshire.
  • 1960 The new hospital on Swiftwater Road was dedicated. It housed 32 beds and more advanced ancillary facilities.
  • 1970 A capital campaign raised $350,000 to build the Emergency Department and patient room wing.
  • 1985 The community, once again, responded to the hospital’s needs by making possible the Currier Wing, with two state-of-the-art operating rooms, special care unit, recovery room and central sterile supply rooms. Building funds in excess of $675,000 were raised.
  • 1991 A $300,000 capital campaign helped expand the radiology department.
  • 1992 Cottage Hospital began another period of growth, welcoming many new physicians and services. Construction of the hospital’s medical office building was completed this year, providing four private suites for doctors’ offices.
  • 1997 The hospital completed construction of the Muffin Lyons Memorial Outpatient Center, a renovation/addition project in memory of Dr. Laurel Lyons. “Muffin”, as she preferred to be called, was a well-known and much-loved physician who cared for many in the community for 17 years. This $800,000 construction project was made possible by more than 1,000 donors which included former patients, hospital employees, medical staff, family and friends. The project expanded the emergency department, walk-in clinic, and provided much needed outpatient space for our patients.
  • 2000 The Cottage Hospital Rehabilitation Center opened in March 2000. This new section of the building houses the hospital’s Physical and Occupational Therapy departments as well as Orthopedic Services.
  • 2007 Cottage Hospital just completed its latest expansion project. With the completion of the new office building and the beginning of internal renovations, we are making way for expansion of several clinical areas within the hospital including Day Surgery, Radiology, Laboratory, and our innovative Pain Clinic.
  • 2010 Cottage Hospital began a new patient care project called “Variable Acuity Rooms.” Variable Acuity Rooms are patient care rooms that can be used for multiple types of patients.
  • 2012 Cottage Hospital began a partnership with the Norris Cotton Cancer Center in an outreach program centered on cancer prevention and early detection.
  • 2013 Cottage Hospital began its strategic focus on three important areas to improve our service to the community and our overall performance—patient experience, population health and per capita costs of care—the “Triple Aim” described by the Institute for Health Improvement.